NCERT Class 6 Geography: Chapter 5, Question 1
Answer the following questions briefly.
(a) What are the four major domains of the earth?
(b) Name the major continents of the earth.
(c) Name the two continents that lie entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.
(d) Name the different layers of the atmosphere.
(e) Why is the earth called the ‘blue planet’?
(f) Why is the Northern Hemisphere called the Land Hemisphere?
(g) Why is the Biosphere important for living organisms?
(a)The four major domains of the Earth are – Lithosphere, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and Biosphere.
(b)There are 7 major continents of the earth. They are:
(c) Two continents that lie entirely in the southern hemisphere are – Australia and Antarctica.
(d) The different layers of the atmosphere are :
(e) The earth is called the blue planet, because 71% of the earth is covered with water and the remaining 29% makes up the land.
(f) The northern hemisphere is called land hemisphere, because a major part of landmass lies in it.
(g) The Biosphere is important for living organisms, because life exists here due to the presence of 3 major components- land, air and water.