NCERT Class 6 Geography: Chapter 1, Question B
1. The temperature at the surface of the sun is about __________.
2. The light from the sun reaches the earth’s surface in about ____________.
3. The asteroid belt lies between the orbits of __________ and ____________.
4. The constellation which has a group of seven stars is called _____________.
1. The temperature at the surface of the Sun is about 6,000 °C.
Explanation: The temperature of the surface of the Sun is very high. It is approximately 6,000-degree centigrade. The temperature at the centre of the Sun is around 1,50,00,000-degree Celsius.
2. The light from the Sun reaches the Earth’s surface in about 8 minutes and 20 seconds.
Explanation: The Sun is approximately 15 crore kilometres from the Earth. Light travels at a speed of 3,00,000 kilometres per second. So, it takes around 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the surface of the Earth.
3. The asteroid belt lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
Explanation: Asteroids are small solid objects revolving around the Sun in orbits. They are also known as planetoids or minor planets. Millions of asteroids have been found between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
4. The constellation which has a group of seven stars is called Saptarshi.
Explanation: A constellation is a group of stars in a particular pattern. The constellation that is visible through our naked eyes is Saptarshi, which is a group of seven stars.